Let us help you!
Resources for Navigating Senior Living
Use these tools to quickly find what you need so you can spend time on what really matters.
Book a Visit With a Loved One
Click a community to schedule a visit with a resident at that community.
Join the Discussion
Senior living research and breakthroughs, caring for a loved one, financial planning, and other topics that apply to you.
FH Fairway Visitors Policy
Visitation Policy and Procedure #AL-015FL
As enacted by the state of Florida, the “No Patient Left Alone Act” will be effective as a law on May 6, 2022. (The “Community”) shall implement the following visitation procedures, including protocols surrounding essential caregivers (EC), in-person visitation, and infection control procedures during visitation.
AREAS OF FOCUS:
- Essential caregivers to visit the Community
- In-person visitation options to the Community
- Infection control procedures during visitation to the Community
ESSENTIAL CAREGIVER PROCEDURE
- A resident may designate a visitor who is a family member, friend, guardian or other individuals as an essential caregiver.
- The Community does not designate a maximum amount of time of visitation by the EC but the resident and/or POA will determine the length of time of the visit.
- The EC is not required to provide necessary care to a resident during any visit.
IN-PERSON VISITATION PROCEDURE
- The Community will allow in-person visitation in all of the following circumstances unless the resident objects:
- Regular visitation of friends, family or loved ones with the resident per Community visitation timeframes of 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. in accordance with Florida Statutes §400.022(1)(b) and §429.28(1)(d).
- End-of-Life situations do not require adherence to visiting hours.
- Visiting hours do not apply to a resident who was living with family before moving into the Community is struggling with the change in environment
- Visiting hours do not apply if the resident is making one or more major medical decisions
- Visiting hours do not apply if the resident is experiencing emotional distress or grieving the loss of a friend or family member who recently died
- Visiting hours do not apply if the resident needs cueing or encouragement to eat or drink which was previously provided by a family member or caregiver
- A resident who used to talk and interacts with others is seldom speaking
Revision Date: 05/06/22 P&P – Administrative Manual_Rev. 05/06/22_
- Allow evening and weekend visits to accommodate work or childcare barriers
- If the resident is Covid positive, the Community may restrict in-person visitation and implement other measures for the visitor to connect with the resident
- Consensual physical contact between a resident and visitor is permitted
- Visitation may take place indoors or outside
INFECTION CONTROL PROCEDURE
- The Community will provide infection prevention and control education to visitors including proper PPE use, hand hygiene and social distancing as needed.
- The Community will provide a copy of the Policy and Procedure document to every visitor and request their signature to acknowledge the Community’s rules for visiting.
- Key team members are designated to support infection control training
- The Community will maintain a visitor log through Accushield for Covid screening of signs and symptoms • Visitors are requested to wear surgical masks during visits in common areas and are encouraged to wear masks while visiting residents privately in apartments • The Community may perform testing as per Community policy
- The Community use of testing must be based on current CDC, FDA and local DOH guidance.
- Healthcare providers serving residents in the Community must comply with CDC requirements for PPE, must be screened prior to entry, and must comply with all infection control requirements.
- The resident receiving healthcare services are encouraged to wear a facemask during the service if tolerated.
- The Community will not require visitors to submit proof of any vaccination or immunization as a condition of visiting the resident. The Community may suspend in-person visitation of a specific visitor if the visitor violates the policies and procedures pertaining to visitation. The Executive Director will be responsible for ensuring that the Community staff adhere to this Visitation Policy and Procedure.
If you have any questions about this policy, please don’t hesitate to reach out to your General Manager at the community and we are happy to help.
See also reporting any related complaints to the Agency for Health Care Administration at: https://www.ahca.myflorida.com/visitation/ This Policy and Procedure may be amended at any time by the Community